In the last couple of blogs, we have talked about birds. Today we are going to move to a different topic that’s endemic to this season – snow shoveling and snow shoveling safety. We want to make sure that everyone knows some tips that can help make snow shoveling a lot easier and safer this winter.
It’s best if you push your snow rather than lift it. However, if it’s necessary to lift the snow, here are some tips that you can use to do it safely.
Tips for Snow Shoveling Safety
- Use the Correct Tool – Using ergonomic shovels will encourage the right form. So, look for shovels that say that they’re ergonomic.
- Think Small – Heavy loads can cause pulled muscles and lost balance. This is especially true when the snow is wet since heavy lifting can cause high blood pressure.
- Lift Smartly – Bend at your hips and knees so that you don’t injure the lower part of your back. Rather than twisting your body, turn your whole body.
- Throw the Snow Low – Rather than building a single huge pile, which will require throwing the snow higher each time, distribute it over an area. Maybe along a pathway or the border of your driveway.
- Change Hands – Chances are that you are going to feel a lot more comfortable using your right hand on its handle. However, if you change hands you are going to feel much better.
- Take a Break – Don’t ignore the way that you are feeling. Take breaks regularly. And, if you’re feeling pain in your chest, never ignore them.
- Heat Helps – Soothe your aching muscles with an anti-inflammatory OTC medication and a nice heating pad or shower. Some marshmallows in a cup of hot chocolate also won’t hurt. After all, you burned a lot of calories. You deserve a treat.
It’s also a good idea to go out and shovel periodically so that you don’t have to do it all at once. Get the kids and family involved so that it goes a lot faster. This will help with encouraging snow shoveling safety for everyone.
Are you not comfortable with doing the snow shoveling yourself, even with these snow shoveling safety tips? If this is the case, we offer snow removal services, and we bet that it’s more affordable than you might expect. If you are interested in knowing more about these services, simply contact us to get a quote.
As always, we are always happy to read your comments and see what you think of our blogs. Comment below or even connect with us on Facebook.